On March 4, 2016, Medical University of Silesia in Katowice signed an agreement on co-financing the project “Medical Simulation Center of Medical University of Silesia in Katowice as a response to the needs of modern medical education” implemented within the Operational Program Knowledge Education Development 2014-2020 (PO WER).
The implementation of the project so far allowed the extension of the SUM resources in the field of medical simulation by two new locations: in the building at Plac Dworcowy 3 in Zabrze, simulation rooms for the medical and dental faculties were created and in Katowice at Medyków 12D for students of nursing and midwifery. They are equipped with the most modern simulation equipment, which will undoubtedly improve the quality of education.
As part of the project, the following didactic laboratories were created and equipped:
Faculty of Medicine with the Medical-Dental Division in Zabrze:
High fidelity simulation rooms(SSWW):
- 1 operating unit,
- 2 intensive care rooms,
- 1 emergency room,
- 1 ambulance simulator,
- 1 delivery room,
- 6 control rooms for observing simulation classes in real time and discussing them.
Low Fidelity Simulation Rooms (SSNW):
- 2 simulation rooms in the field of advanced resuscitation of adults,
- 1 simulation room in the field of basic life support – BLS,
- 1 laboratory of technical skills.
Rooms for Dental Skills teaching. (SNUS):
2 interdisciplinary laboratories (dentistry).
Faculty of Health Sciences in Katowice:
High fidelity simulation rooms (SSWW):
- 1 delivery room,
- 1 high fidelity nursing room,
- 1 control room.
Other didactic rooms:
- 1 training room for nursing skills,
- 1 training room for obstetric skills.
The rooms, which were constructed in Katowice and Zabrze, are equipped with a total of thirteen advanced patient simulators and over one hundred phantoms and training models.
Particularly noteworthy is the creation of two interdisciplinary rooms for dentistry students equipped with 51 dental units, which allowed full introduction of the medical simulation method into the medical and dental education program.
As part of the project, the SUM Development Program was created, which includes modification of the education program so that the number of practical classes in simulated conditions increases to 5% of the total number of teaching hours in each faculty supported by the PO WER program, i.e.: medical, medical and dental, nursing and midwifery. The above actions enable students to gain better preclinical knowledge with the hospital environment and supplement clinical classes with a possibility of practical implementation of highly specialized procedures, in particular invasive ones, by students of the above-mentioned faculties.
As part of the soft skills activities that contributed to improvement of education quality, PLN 6 million was allocated for the following tasks:
- development of inter-university cooperation within the network of Medical Simulation Centres,
- creating a common inter-university portal with a database of simulation scenarios,
- raising the competences of academic teachers staff and other SUM employees through training in the methodology of teaching medical subjects, conducting classes using the medical simulation method, in the field of cardiopulmonary resuscitation and the functioning of the Medical Simulation Center,
- implementation of OSCE exams (Objective Structured Clinical Examination) and implementation of the standardized patient program for OSCE examinations and practice,
- organization of national simulation competitions by SUM in 2017.
The total value of the project is PLN 27 241 300.17 , including:
|the value of the equipment||17 607 686,78 PLN|
|the value of building adaptation||3 368 114,35 PLN|
|the value of soft skills activities||6 265 499,04 PLN|
|including the value of co-financing from EU funds||22 958 967,78 PLN|